When I first heard of these makeup subscription services, I was so excited. For only 15 CAD and 10 USD per month, I get to try a whole variety of makeup and tools that are from big brands? This was too good to be true!
At that time, I was really into YouTube make up guru Michelle Phan and I was digging her, so I decided to subscribe to her monthly makeup Ipsy bags.
First, you go to the website www.ipsy.com and answer questions on your physical descriptions and choose what kinds of makeup you want to receive. Afterward, you pay and if there is no waitlist, you are in and you will receive your monthly makeup bags!
I subscribed for a year and have stopped since then and here are my thoughts on the Ipsy subscriptions specifically.
- If you don’t mind getting makeup from random brands.
- if you are just starting out collecting makeup
- if you like trying new makeup
- if you don’t mind receiving nail polish after nail polish and having makeup tools one month after another
- if you don’t mind receiving whatever colors you might get whether they are dark brown eyeshadows this month, lighter brown eyeshadows next month and medium brown eyeshadows the month after that
- if you like receiving new makeup bags every month
- if you like the feeling of opening up a present every month
- if you have extra 15 cad dollars a month and you want to consume for the heck of it
- If you want to support Michelle Phan
- If you like popping bubble wraps every month
Overall, it was fun subscribing for a year trying out new makeup and tools but I realized I was collecting make up for the sake of it. I couldn’t possibly use all the make up I was receiving and I am not the type just to review and to throw them away or to give them away. I did give away makeup to friends here and there but overall, I felt like it was a waste of money but of the products as well.
One reason that propelled me to write this post was that I recently finished using a lip product from the previous Ipsy bags I received which was around 5 years ago!! I used that lip product quite often but it still took me that long to use it up.
This is one of the reasons why I stopped buying makeup products because I didn’t need all of that. I already have a lot and I actually want to use them up and not just for the sake of buying them after seeing a great review or a haul from YouTube or blog posts. The feeling of using up makeup products or anything for that matter is a very satisfying feeling. Is anybody else with me on this?
I might go back to subscribing makeup subscriptions in the future but only if I use up my current make up stash which would be in 2028. It does take a while to use them up IMHO
Have anyone of you tried subscribing to other makeup box or bags and if so what were your thoughts? Please share and comment down below!
Thanks for reading!
Until next time,